Thursday, February 19, 2015

PALS WITH THE BIG G: Ash Wednesday 2015

It's been a long while since I've posted anything on this blog and for that I apologize.

I don't know how many people actually keep up with my blog posts (though it's not really that difficult to track), but if you are a regular reader, please know that though I have not been updating my status here on a regular basis, my life has been anything but dull.

ZOMBIE SHARK BEAR and GREMLIN WORLD are both being regularly published on Tapastic and soon my Tumblr, Aswembar (Nom Nom Art Collective) has been cleared for a table at the San Diego Comic Con again, and my writing collaborator and I have been hard at work on a brand new short story we hope to have out in time for summer.

I've also been attending regular art meet ups, keeping up with Spider-Verse, Endgame, and one of my new favorite comics, Boku no Hero Academia, and watching The Flash, Agent Carter, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, and Log Horizon. Guilty Gear Xrd has taken up a pretty good chunk of time, as well. I've even been able to try a slew of new restaurants and exotic new foods- needless to say, I have not been bored.

That said, the Lenten season is upon us again, and I've decided to revisit my daily blog post project that brought me a lot of enjoyment back in 2013. I feel like I have grown a lot as a person since that last project both in my faith and as a person, and so I think further reflection will take me on to bigger and brighter things.



When we think about Lent, what usually comes to mind is the idea of "giving up" something that is usually seen as a vice or crutch. This comes from the season being a time for alms giving and fasting; but as the deacon at the Mass I attended today so wisely pointed out,  Catholics are not required to fast or sacrifice during Lent other than to abstain from meat on Fridays. In reality, it is something that should be done as a choice because we want to do it to better ourselves and to strengthen our relationship with God. And though there is always something that a person can give up to be closer to God, sometimes I think that actually DOING something thoughtfully and contemplatively can be just as effective in that endeavor.

So, with this in mind, I'll be striving for a deeper understand of my faith, my reasons for believing, and what this means for my life moving forward from this Lenten season. Anyone who would like to follow along is welcome to, and if I can help anyone come to a deeper faith or perspective by these writings, then all the better!

I hope everyone had a great Ash Wednesday!

No comments: