Tuesday, February 24, 2015

PALS WITH THE BIG G Part 5: I love science!

Okay, so I've come to the realization that doing a daily blog on top of having a full time day job, an active social life, and drawing two full color comics is hard... REALLY HARD!



It doesn't help that I do want these entries to at least have something to say about things that are very important to me. But I'm not a priest or a theologian or a psychologist- so really I have no responsibility to come off as enlightened or wise in these posts; but I do want to be honest, and if someone has another perspective to offer then I will gladly learn from it.

Today, I'm going to write about science and religion. Two things that many people think are incompatible these days.

I would like to start off saying that my grandparents on both sides of the family were the biggest influences on me as a child and my maternal grandfather was, in fact, a rocket scientist. Literally.  When I was young, my Grandpa was always happy to take me to the museum to see the dinosaurs, and learn about the animals and plants of the world and also fostered my interest in Geology. He helped me research science projects and always had books for me to read that only increased my curiosity.

At the same time, Grandpa would also make sure that we went to church every Sunday, even when I tried to play sick. He rented religious films for me, including Super Book, which was created by the very awesome Tatsunoko Productions (responsible for such anime classics as Casshern, Gatchaman, Speed Racer, and Hurricane Polymar). I even remember that at family gatherings, before the night was over, there was sure to be a religion or politics debate of some kind.

In short, to me there has always been a place for both religion and science in my life. I absolutely believe that evolution is a biological process that has given rise to life on Earth, but I also believe that this was done as part of a grand story being told by a wisdom and power far beyond human reasoning.


No comments: