Friday, April 3, 2015

PALS WITH THE BIG G PART 14: Self Inflicted Damage

Today's post, Part Two!




My second topic for today is probably something a little more controversial than usual, but it is my opinion and this is my blog so I get to say whatever I want anyway...

Most people have heard that God sends evil people to hell; but in my view, from Jesus has taught me, this is not true. In fact, I think the ultimatum of hell is the most harmful thing we can tell students of the faith and does more harm to Jesus' message than good. To me, hell is a self-inflicted state of being more than a divine punishment, otherwise, why did Jesus suffer so much for us? Why would he put up with being humiliated, stripped down, and be put to death in front of hundreds if his intent was to take a sadistic revenge later? He certainly had the power to take his revenge at the time, and yet, when it is done he prays for the crowd's forgiveness. Because Jesus will forgive anything if we simply have the faith and humility to ask it.

So, I ask my fellow Christians, please do not use the terror of hell when proclaiming the Good News, but rather, teach Jesus' word by building up the good in others. After all, a relationship built on fear only lasts until one can escape it, but a relationship built on love will endure and grow.

No comments: