Friday, March 8, 2013

PALS WITH THE BIG G: Day 20

Half way point, FTW! (I just gave myself a hi-five.)

So, today I'm going to discuss an issue which is a little nearer and dearer to me than some of the other things I've talked about so far. Although I'm a fervent Catholic, not many of the other people that I know are. In fact, many of them aren't religious at all, and I think that this is something worth writing about.



So let's just get this out of the way, it doesn't really bother me, too much. I mean, I think about it and I admit that there is some loneliness that comes from not having many people to talk to on the subject of faith that can see it from the perspective that I see it from, but I don't think any less of my friends or anyone because of their own points of view. I do pray for my friends; for their well being, for their times of need, and yes, I do hope that one day they find God in their lives, but I think that's really a personal journey that one has to embark on a their own pace, in their own time.

I think that people may be agnostic or atheist for a variety of reasons, and maybe I'd find some of those reasons more valid than others, but I also think that those people can certainly be just as good a person as someone who is devout. And I believe that God does as well, since I can't really see him giving humanity free will and not seeing rejection as a possibility from some people. I think that as long as there is love, there is a way to God and what I do know is that it's not my place to judge.

One of the things that troubles me the most is when people are self-righteous (which may be ironic, considering I'm here writing about the topic) despite not having a well-informed opinion themselves, or making statements without properly understanding where the other party is coming from. This seems to be a major problem for many people, both religious and not, and I think it is sad. It is sad because people could do so much more if we just learned to compromise and build bridges rather than burning them. I think that is God's real test for humanity, to build relationships despite ourselves.

No comments: