Sunday, March 10, 2013

PALS WITH THE BIG G: Day 21

Well, this is a little bit late. Curse you, day light savings time!

So, for those of you who know me, or maybe just those who've been following my blog for a while, you know that I'm a huge toy collector. I have been collecting toys seriously since 2007, and originally I was only going to be buying high priced figures as a way to get me to save money. Well, that plan has pretty much backfired, but I'm getting a serious case of buyer's fatigue right now so I'm hoping I can use this to kind of start fresh and thin the heard.



Being a collector and a Catholic is a little bit of an odd dichotomy. It is very, very hard for a collector to be frugal, which in some ways completely goes against some of the religious principals I try to follow and is also not a trait that is financially beneficial. Part of it admittedly does come from the instant gratification of having the internet around all the time, which allows me to get anything I may spontaneously want and another part of it is just a lack of self control at some times. And in contemplating the reason for lent, I think that this is probably the main thing Jesus wants us to focus on- self control.

Through self control, we are able to build ourselves up in to better people who are better equipped to tap into that greatness that resides in each of us. In coming to this conclusion, I am sorry that I did not realize this earlier and actually decide to forgo some things in addition to writing these blog posts. Hopefully, by putting my thoughts into words, I will be able to use this post as a touchstone and remember the importance of what I'm writing.

No comments: